Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the fuel pump on a 1998 dodge ram 1500?

Do I have to drain the gas tank to get the thing off and new one on? I filled it a half hour before it died! 34 gallosn is a lot of weight!How do I change the fuel pump on a 1998 dodge ram 1500?
You have to drope the gas tank. You can find complete instructions with pictures in the DIY pages at autozone.comHow do I change the fuel pump on a 1998 dodge ram 1500?
I had a 2003 dodge ram 1500, so I'm not 100% sure how it's done on your truck, but I'm sure it's VERY similar. And yes you have to drain out the fuel first before you service it. As a safety precaution make sure you unplug the battery as well before working on anything with fuel, to avoid a potential spark....You'll probably have to undo the tank straps, and then lower it with a jack, that's how i did mine, then undo all the lines of course.How do I change the fuel pump on a 1998 dodge ram 1500?
yep better drain it down or you will get smashed,thats a lot of weight strap it up good and let it down slow then knock the ring loose and take off the hoses and unplug the wires and replace it with the new one.How do I change the fuel pump on a 1998 dodge ram 1500?
The fuel pump is in the gas tank, but there is an easier way. You will need help moving the cargo box back, but all you have to do is unhook the light wires, and remove about 8 bolts. Pick up the box and move it back a couple of feet.