Thursday, September 22, 2011

Car wont start. I think it may be the fuel pump. How can i tell?

I have a 95 caprice classic, LT1... I went to start it the other day, It fired up for like 2 secs athen died. Athen it wouldnt start again. So the next day I tried it again, It fired up for like a split sec athen died. Now it wont do anything... I think its the fuel pump. whats the best way i can tell if thats the problem? The car has 150K miles and I have never changed the fuel pump... Any help? Thanks...Car wont start. I think it may be the fuel pump. How can i tell?
There should be a test port on the fuel rail, kinda like a tire inflation valve. Cycle the key on and off 3-4 times. Then carefully press the valve (like letting air out of a tire) to see if there is pressure.

Careful you don't get gas everywhere, or in your eyes.Car wont start. I think it may be the fuel pump. How can i tell?
you dont know what the problem is.and a w.a.g. is not the answer. take it to a shop or have an experienced person give it a go.Car wont start. I think it may be the fuel pump. How can i tell?
The only sure way is to have the fuel pressure checked. A lower than normal pressure would indicate a bad fuel pump.



edit: If you got 150k miles out of that pump, you got your money's worth out of it. Most of the time they go out at around 100k miles.