Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How long should a fuel pump in a 2001 Ford Powerstroke last?

We just got a pretty big trailer, and when pulling it up hills on our first trip, things started out fine, but then we lost power. I changed the fuel filter, things were fine for almost 200 miles. Then, going up a hill again yesterday, we lost power. I changed the fuel filter again, paranoid that I had gotten bad gas, and it worked again. I really don't think I got bad gas, as I had run two good tanks of fuel through. Could it be the fuel pump? This has the frame mounted electric pump- is it as easy to change, with the right tool, as my friend says? Thanks!!!How long should a fuel pump in a 2001 Ford Powerstroke last?
How do you know it's the fuel pump? You are taking an expensive guess? Are you getting proper fuel pressure? Do you have any %26quot;check engine%26quot; light on, when you lose power? Are you getting proper turbo boost? It's VERY rare that the frame mounted fuel pump you refer to, fails. If you want answers from EXPERT Ford diesel technicians, post your question at www.flatratetech.com, or www.forddoctorsdts.com. Navigate to message forums on flatratetech, and post your question in 7.3L Diesel Engine Support. Hope this helps.How long should a fuel pump in a 2001 Ford Powerstroke last?
I have a 1991, I have never had a problem with that. I have lost the front wheel three times, and had the u-bolts holding the front axle to the sping come loose. I have over 225,000 miles and never had engine problems. I hauled cattle with it for years and finally retired it to a farm truck with a feeder on it. Now I get a new duelly every year, also power stroke. The '91 is only a 3/4 ton I had beefed up.How long should a fuel pump in a 2001 Ford Powerstroke last?
100000 or beter try using fuel booster or lucas fuel conditionerHow long should a fuel pump in a 2001 Ford Powerstroke last?
i own a repair shop,and there's no set time limit on one,i have seen them go it and only be a few days old,if you get a few years out of one your doing fine with it,but anything after a year ,and one can go out,that's just the way they are,but i would just replace it and not worry about it,you may get 10 years out of the next one,you never know,good luck,i hope this help,s.