Thursday, September 22, 2011

I have a 99 gmc envoy, looking to change/fix an electrical fuel pump myself.l?

can someone who is experience please provide this single mom with some suggestions on how to properly drop the tank (very empty) and reconnect my new pump. desperate and dont have the money to have a mechanic fix it for me!



thank youI have a 99 gmc envoy, looking to change/fix an electrical fuel pump myself.l?
Shouldn't be that much of a problem. Two metal straps hold the tank in place. When you get under the vehicle you'll see the bolts.

The tank itself is not heavy, but a jack with a board helps. Trick is getting filler tube loose and then re-aligned whenyou go back in.

Changing pump is no problem. There's a ring that you tap counter clockwise to get the old pump out. Two electrical leads attach to connections on top of this ring as well as the feed and return lines. When I drive off the ring I use a brass hammer to prevent sparks. I'd rather err on the side of safety. Good luck, I don't think you'll have any problem. It's really a lot easier than you'd think.I have a 99 gmc envoy, looking to change/fix an electrical fuel pump myself.l?
Maybe someone else will chime in with more info, but this is from Autozone. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker



You should buy a book for it really, that way you can use it for anything else that comes up.



I am assuming you are 100% sure it's the pump.I have a 99 gmc envoy, looking to change/fix an electrical fuel pump myself.l?
Check out the public library for repair manuals. Typically you can't check them out but you can make copies for your personal use.

Basically though, disconnect the battery, support the tank, loosen

the straps and lower the tank to disconnect fuel lines and power wire. Disconnect straps and move them to fully remove the tank.

This could be a tough task to do alone! It might be possible to not fully remove the tank.

On the tank where the pump is, there will be a ring you will need to turn to remove the pump. Clean this area of dirt, turn the ring and remove it and then remove the pump. Install new pump making certain that you get any seals in place and work backwards from there. NO SMOKING!I have a 99 gmc envoy, looking to change/fix an electrical fuel pump myself.l?
I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself esp if you have never done this before. The labour charge for the job is 2hrs ( less than $160 ).It is not worth the trouble to do it yourself and you have to consider the safety risks involved with high pressure fuel as well. Let a pro do it, its much safer. Sorry, I'm not trying to discourage you...... Good luck!!I have a 99 gmc envoy, looking to change/fix an electrical fuel pump myself.l?
I have done this more times than I care to tell you here. I do not believe it to be an easy job for someone to do with a lot of mechanical ability. That said, these tanks are uniquely shaped and quite deep so getting the truck up in the air as far as possible is essential. You said the tank is nearly empty so that helps a great deal. There are several hoses and pipes that need to be removed without being damaged or allowing dirt and crap from entering. The fuel filler and vent hoses are the two biggest hoses to be removed. These are normally held by simple hose clamps and to loosen them from their respective nipples requires some type of a probe to wiggle between to release the bond. The quick connect fittings are released using special tools that can be purchased from any auto sales company. There will be the pressure pipe that can be usually disconnected at the filter, the return pipe which is usually disconnected by first lowering the tank to get at it, and there will be at least one, possible two vent pipes for emissions control to remove. There are sometimes rock guards that have to be removed and then the two straps that actually hold the tank to the body. These tanks are plastic so the weight is not that bad, but they are very ungainly with lots of unusual angles and even with a low fuel level they tend to tip and fall. Be careful with fuel spills and from getting this stuff in your eyes. Visit the general motors website to look at the actual manual as that is where we get all our information. If that doesn't help, visit a dealer and I'm sure they will be happy to print you out the whole procedure as I would. Good Luck!!