Thursday, September 22, 2011

JEEP YJ 4.2 -1988 - ENGINE question?

I just got almost for free Jeep 1988 4.2 . Did not run . I started changed fluids , oil etc , and engine is knocking like woodpicker .

To me soung like broken lifter ( my friends have same opinion ).

I know I shoud change camshaft and lifters . My question is -

-do I need remove engine head to do this job?

-maybe better idea is to buy another engine from junk-yard instal , use for while and in same time rebiuld this knocking ? -Any idea how much cost used complite engine -some links?

-how about remanufactired engines -avaliable on line for about $1400 ? -Are they OK -is it good price ?

I never had Jeep before , I like this vehicycle a lot , I would brigh this vehicycle to life again .

I know how to do most job , I just need good advices .

I will be happy if someone will give me some links about problem above , some advices .

How much will cost me to buy all parts needed to rebiuld engine by myself ?



Another problem with Jeep. I have automatic transmition -is OK-but when I stop on red light many times engine dies . Normal RPM is about 600 as should be . I did not do tune-up yet . Maybe is needed .

What is your opinion about this problem ?

Maybe I need change fuel pump ? Or maybe is some adjustment on this pump ?



And last question , power stering . When engine is warm , power steering does not work as good as when is cold . Is there some adjastment on power steering pump ?



Any help is needed . Thank you .JEEP YJ 4.2 -1988 - ENGINE question?
Sounds to me like you might have a cracked flex-plate which can simulate the exact same noise as a lower engine knock. This could also be causing you transmission problem i would remove the inspection cover on the transmission bell housing spiflex-platexplate around and check for any cracks. On the power steering issue sounds like the fluid is reaching its boiling point after it warms up which it could be contaminated with water or something since it hasent been running. I would recommend draining the fluid and refilling it and also add some lucas power steering fluid and see what happens.JEEP YJ 4.2 -1988 - ENGINE question?
Hi

For your power steering, any adjustment would be on the steering box

And I think your rpm`s should be up to about 850. For the knock, put in two qt/liter of transition fluid in the oil. (Take out about 2 qt) It is

mostly detergent and may clean the lifters. Its worth a try ! And leave

it in for a few days.