Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How many bolts hold a stepside bed on my truck?

I have a '94 GMC stepside truck and I need to change fuel pump located in tank. I have been told it is easier to lift bed then drop a full fuel tank. I think I see 6. Any Help????How many bolts hold a stepside bed on my truck?
Yeah, I was gonna say either 6 or maybe 8, depending what length bed you have. Usually readily visible from the inside of the bed. They look like the top of a carriage bolt, with smooth round heads, and a square boss underneath to keep it from spinning during the last amount of tightening. Keep in mind, you will also have to disconnect the fuel tank filler neck, possibly wiring for the pump and gauges, and of course, the taillights.



It is moderately heavy. At least 2 to maybe 4 guys, depending on how brutish they are, or a winch/hoist arrangement attached to the rafters of your garage. Could also jack from underneath, then run some beams on sawhorses underneath to support it, then pull truck out from under.How many bolts hold a stepside bed on my truck?
Thats it, but it helps if you have 4 people to lift the bed out of the way. It is for sure easier with the bed OFF