Thursday, September 22, 2011

How can I test a fuel pump in a 97 Chevy Express Van?

I have a 97 Chevy Express that just stalled out on me. The engine cranks when I turn the key but sounds like it's not getting any fuel. I changed the fuel filter, I can hear the fuel pump relay %26quot;click%26quot; on when turn the ignition key. I'm guessing maybe the fuel pump is bad. Since it's in the gas tank, I'd like to be able to be sure of that before tackling that job. OR is there another possiility that could be preventing it from starting?How can I test a fuel pump in a 97 Chevy Express Van?
The only way to know is to put a pressure guage on the fuel rail. You may get fuel by pressing the valve but you have no way of knowing if it has the correct pressure.

You did not say what engine you have, but the 5.7L needs 60 to 66 psi.How can I test a fuel pump in a 97 Chevy Express Van?
turn the key to the %26quot;on%26quot; position without turning over, go back to the tank and listen for a whine sound, if you dont hear that sound the pump is dead. also on the engine there is a fuel rail, on the rail there is a schrader valve, looks like a bike tire valve. put on safety glasses and depress the needle in the valve and hold while the key is on, this should let you bleed down the pressure. turn off for a couple seconds, then turn on and recheck for pressure, if you have high pressure again, the pump is ok.