Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I go about changing the fuel pump on my 1995 Chryler LHS? Any tips/helpful hints appreciated.?

My car was fine, then one day when I started it I had trouble. It ran fine for a few seconds, then began running rough, and within 2 blocks had gotten so rough it sputtered and died. It hasn't started since, but it does crank. I don't hear the fuel pump coming on. I replaced the fuel pump relay already but need to do the fuel pump itself I guess. That's the only thing I can think it might be. I'm a little leary of working around the gas tank, but I have to do this myself. I don't have a manual, so any helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks. How do I go about changing the fuel pump on my 1995 Chryler LHS? Any tips/helpful hints appreciated.?
Hopefully there's not a lot of fuel in the tank as the straps have to come off around the tank and it has to be lowered safely to disconnect the wiring and hoses from the top center of the tank. If there is a lot of fuel in the tank unfortunately you can't stick a hose in the fuel opening to siphon it out. The marvelous engineers have installed an internal blocking gate so people can't steal the fuel by trying to siphoning it out.



Simply look for a large rubber hose between the tank and the first piece of metal tubing that leads to the fill pipe on the outside if the car. Disconnect the hose as close to the tank as possible an siphon all the gas you can into a lawnmower plastic gas can.



There is a large square fitting on the top that will require a large pair of water pump pliers or a pipe wrench to unscrew counterclockwise. The fuel pump and the tank float will lift out as a unit. How do I go about changing the fuel pump on my 1995 Chryler LHS? Any tips/helpful hints appreciated.?
You need to put the car on jack stands or a lift.you need to put a jack under the gas tank.There should be some clamps along the frame rail you will need to get off of the metal gas line to free it so it will not bend so much when you drop the gas tank.then take the bolts out of the gas straps.they will just hang there There will be 2 Rubber Hoses: the filler hose and the breather hose, you will need to take off.be prepared for gas from the gas lines.get a rag to push into the filler hose hole.You may need to remove the bolts by the gas cap to help get the gas tank down to get to the filler hose.You should lower the gas tank just enough to get the smaller gas lines on top of the tank,once there off ,you can finish lowering.There will be a metal ring on top of the tank with maybe three teeth sticking up.you will need a punch and a hammer,or something to hit it with to spin the ring around.once the ring is out when you pull the pump out there will be a rubber ring,make sure its ok.be careful when pulling out the pump assembly.once you replace the pump..then just do everything in reverse.How do I go about changing the fuel pump on my 1995 Chryler LHS? Any tips/helpful hints appreciated.?
you will have to lower the gas tank out of the car to replace the fuel pump as it's in the tank.