Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. Stopped getting fuel I think it's the fuel pump.?

My truck was running just fine yesterday morning when I went to work. Then, after I got off, I started my truck, started out of the parking lot, got about 150 yards and then it was like it ran out of gas. I got my wife to bring me down the gas can, I poured some gas in the carburetor and it started and ran for a moment. Do any of you have ideas on where to start diagnostics? Also, if I were going to change the fuel pump, where is it and how do I get to it?

Thanks,

DongoI have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. Stopped getting fuel I think it%26039;s the fuel pump.?
its in the gas tank on that one,and you have to drop it completely off to get to it,that's a hard job if its got any gas at all in the tank ,you might be better off letting a shop handle this one because a gas tank is hard to handle if its got any gas at all in it when you bring it down,when you replace it you,ll get the entire unit with it,sending unit and all,you can test it with a fuel pressure test if you have the gage to do it with,other wise a shop would have to fully diagnose it,if you can hear it run for at least a few seconds when you first turn the key on its working,there's also a relay for that one that might be causing that ,check it and check the fuse panel and make sure is not blown any fuses,there is a fuse for the fuel pump ,if you don't have no luck with it let a shop do this,if the tank has to come down its a hard job to do unless its on a rack where you can get to it,good luck with it.I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. Stopped getting fuel I think it%26039;s the fuel pump.?
Before I would condem the fuel pump, I would replace the fuel filter, That way I could use the line from the tank to the motor to check that the pump is providing enough fuel to the motor. You will need two people to do this, one to crank the motor and somebody on the ground at the filter to check for flow. Gas is dangerous so be careful, pleaseI have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. Stopped getting fuel I think it%26039;s the fuel pump.?
it might be the fuel pump and something in the engine where the starter is
  • how old do i look
  • excel
  •