Thursday, September 22, 2011

Honda Accord 1986 EX 2 DR running rough and stalling. Car stalls when accelerating or starting from a stop.?

I started with a carburettor cleaner in fuel to try cleaning the carburettor. Did not work so removed the carburettor and cleaned it with brush etc as advised. Refitted it but same problems. The problem did not get worse so I think I did it OK. Then a mechanic told me to change the fuel pump. This is a carburetted car so I don't think a pump has such an active role. But I changed the pump . I have tested fuel flow by running the engine and collecting the oil in a bottle. The quantity was enough to keep it running and the engine was running on float bowl fuel at that time.



Now I think it may be an electrical problem. What should I try there? The car can be managed to be ridden for 5-6km if I keep using choke. The engine type is ET1. How to test the remaining issues? Should I change the spark leads or do I need a distributor? I have re seated the leads on plug and distribuitor side. I have also set the idle screw at around 900 rpmHonda Accord 1986 EX 2 DR running rough and stalling. Car stalls when accelerating or starting from a stop.?
Definitely sounds like a carburetor problem. Probably a bad accelr8r pump. With the car off look down the carb throat and roll the throttle open. It should shoot out a SOLID STREAM of gas from the moment the throttle is moved. Anything less than that is causing a problem.Honda Accord 1986 EX 2 DR running rough and stalling. Car stalls when accelerating or starting from a stop.?
vacuum hose or bad catalytic converter